About Me

9 June 2014



About me

First of all Thanks for your interest to know about me! My name is Farid Aswan bin Ismail, born on 14 July 1987 in Taiping Perak,Malaysia. My father is an ex-army officer, and we have been moving all around Malaysia because of the nature of work. I had been transferred to so many schools. I came from middle class family and none of my relative had a chance to study abroad before. It was always my ambition to become a lecturer and politician since I was in school.  I am now married and have one daughter. I was graduated from Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM) in December 2013 with a First Class Degree in International Affairs Management (Hons). I am married with one cute daughter!

Education Background And Goal
During my study in UUM, I was conferred the 2012 TM Academic Personality award. In the same year, I also received a scholarship from Dell Asia Pacific. During my study in UUM, I received the Dean’s Award for 6 consecutive semesters. Now, all my hard work has earned me the crowning glory of Deputy Vice Chancellor Gold Medal and Chancellor Gold Medal 2013; which is the highest gold medal award in my university. Currently I work as a Tutor in Universiti Utara Malaysia. I have been given a scholarship by my university in order to further my study until I obtain my PHD.



Passion And Character
I enjoy debate and also actively involved in conducting workshops and delivered motivational talks to UUM students as well as student at various schools in Kedah,Malaysia. Among unforgettable memories are those involving the delivery of motivational talks in the Thai dialects to the students of the Darunsat Withaya School, Thailand, and a number of schools in Pattani, Southern Thailand. Politic is in my blood. I also had joined the UUM Student Representative Council (MPP UUM) election. Though my bid for Council post was unsuccessful, the defeat certainly did not discourage me from giving my service to fellow students at UUM. This sense of service eventually won me the appointment as the President of the TM student Residential College for the 2011/2012. I was also the President of the UUM UNESCO Club and the Vice-President of the Maybank Student Residential College. In addition, I have also shared and contributed my ideas on current issues through several of article in local newspapers.


Interest in political science and political economy
I am a very hard working person and I am committed to achieve the best (sometime but not all the time…haha) . In everything I do, I will always try to put my very best. During my study in University Utara Malaysia as International Affairs Management’ student, I found out that political economy subject is very interesting. That is why I have decided to further my master into this field. Political Science and Political Economy are my passion and I always think about how good governance works. Some of the topic that interests me are welfare state management, and Joseph Stieglitz idea of political economy management. I agree with Stieglitz that the market should not be left alone and there is no such thing “Invisible Hands” by Adam Smith. As evidence, in this world, there is no nation that applies free market totally without government interference. Furthermore, one of my favourite Malaysian scholar is Jomo Kwame Sundaram, who has written a book about Malaysia Political Economy. He has written, deeply on the Malaysia case of Political Economy dilemma that is an eye opening for academician.

Global View
I have visited the country that is underdeveloped like Cambodia, Thailand and Indonesia. But I never had a chance to visit developed country before. I always wonder what Malaysia could do more to ensure the national development grows faster. I want to become a lecturer and hold PhD in Political Economy and later contribute to my country some ideas and knowledge to achieve vision 2020.  It is always my ambition to study in Europe country, especially in United Kingdom, to experience and to watch a live example of the political economy of western model. In fact, my mini thesis for undergraduate are related to the management of welfare capitalism comparison between countries. Furthermore, I am also active participating in seminars that are related to political science and political economy, for example International Seminar of Malaysia Thailand Studies 2012 (ISMATS).

My next step!
I'm going to London School of Economics in Msc Political Science and Political Economy this coming September and I am very exited about it. It is really an honour for me. The reason I choose London Schools of Economics because of its reputation and one of my Lecturer came from this honourable institution. I notice his character and method of teaching are very much different from others. I want to become distinguish academician and political figure in the future. I know that LSE is the best place to be.



1 comments:

  1. mrkdvsn said...:

    Impressive and powerful suggestion by the author of this blog are really helpful to reduce our hack-tic life. My own views are matching with author and I have experienced such.
    ติว ielts ที่ไหนดี

Post a Comment